[AT] message for Ralph, now straw walkers

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Sun Nov 3 04:12:54 PST 2013

Straw walkers; I can remember the first time I saw straw walkers on our old
1930's Case 12' combine.  Rather vicious looking, but they did the job.  You
are a tough guy Ralph; like my Dad, did not want to take the time to find a
couple old coats or overalls to lay on.
Herb

Hi Greg
I will attempt a reply here. Thanks for watching the "Roosty6" videos.
It inspires me to do more if I know people actually watch and find
something of interest there.
I guess there are times I just have no opinion or nothing to add to the
conversations here on the list.
I have lost my link to the "new" ATIS discussion forum where we had some
good conversation going on . This laptop lost my personal profile with
all my favorite links a while ago. You would think it would be easy to
google search the ATIS forum but I have had no luck there yet. I may
have to fire up the old desktop to see if I can get back in through it's
saved history to see what Gene and Charlie are up to lately.
Harvest finally finished up for me on October 29th. Not the latest I
have ever combined but later than I prefer. Due to a combination of
breakdowns, bad weather and some bad decisions on my part I was probably
the last guy harvesting in this area. Starting the diesel engines that
sat in the field overnight with temps down near 10F was no fun at all
but they did start and the big John Deere pull type put the stubborn
flax straw through pretty well. Although there was one memorable day
that I spent part of an afternoon and evening laying inside the combine
on the straw walkers with various hooks, saws, and finally a "sawzall"
cutting flax straw out of the plugged beater. Not something I ever want
to do again.
My old reliable right hand tractor, the Massey Super 90 has had a major
breakdown. The head gasket blew out between cylinder 3 and 4 recently so
it sits in the shed in pieces waiting for me to get back to it. Sure do
miss the front end loader.
Had the old AR fired up for some exercise this week as I had to move it
to get the combine parked back in the shed for winter. Here is a photo
from the day. Got some video but not edited yet.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/8ohj.jpg/

Ralph in Sask.