[AT] A message for Ralph

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 2 07:49:39 PDT 2013

On 11/2/2013 7:03 AM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> Ralph:
> I had to cut out a plugged crimper on my Owatonna swather with the JD
> crimper.  I used the Chainsaw.  Once in a while I would hit the steel
> roller, but it was not a good chain on the saw anyhow, so it was no big
> loss..    A new chain was worth a lot less than 1/2 day of my time....

Cecil, and others who have commented on this, that flax straw is like no
straw I have ever seen. Even after 15 years of growing the crop it
amazes me. The strength and durability is incredible. I cut a bit with
the saw, then use pliers to pull out pieces. The more you work with it ,
the stronger it gets. Plus did I mention the torture of laying on
combine straw walkers while sawing? For those unfamiliar with them, try
to picture a school of sharks with steel dorsal fins and me laying on
that. I have no padding on my body so every move was painful. There is
just no other way to get at that rear beater. The worst of it was that
it was my own fault. I had double swathed part of the field laying two
21 foot swaths side by side. Normally the combine will handle that much
material, slowly. In a heavier part of the field where the crop had
lodged and the swather left some "lumps" I guess a slug hit the cylinder
just too hard. I will say that the JD posi torque cylinder drive is
absolutely unstoppable, right up to the point that it stalls the tractor
engine in a split second. There is just no slippage. Unplugging the
cylinder was child's play compared to the beater behind it.
Probably more than you wanted to know about harvesting flax.

Ralph in Sask.