[AT] A message for Ralph

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Nov 2 02:29:40 PDT 2013

Hi Ralph.  Do you still need the link to the forum?
http://www.atis.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?6-Miscellaneous-Forums

> Had the old AR fired up for some exercise this week as I had to
> move it to get the combine parked back in the shed for winter.
> Here is a photo from the day. Got some video but not edited yet.
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/8ohj.jpg/

Great photo of the AR.  As someone who grew up in row-crop country, the
"regulars" always looked somewhat mysterious to me.  And I had an irrational
sense that they were somehow smaller than their row-crop cousins, I guess
because the operator doesn't sit up as high in the air.  But there's a lot
of tractor there.

> there was one memorable day that I spent part of an afternoon
> and evening laying inside the combine on the straw walkers with
> various hooks, saws, and finally a "sawzall" cutting flax straw
> out of the plugged beater. Not something I ever want to do again.

I remember you saying flax straw is very tough.  Did you ever read the old
"Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip back in the late 80s or so?  One strip had
young Calvin's dad laying on his back with his head under the kitchen sink,
attempting a plumbing repair, with assorted tools and parts laying nearby,
while Calvin read from a home-repair manual:  "Step 1. Consult this list of
handy expletives."

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net