[AT] JD MT hydraulic Fluid

Mike mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon May 20 04:54:28 PDT 2013

I am NOT a JD expert, but generic tractor hydraulic fluid is the same
consistency at 10 wt oil. The 5-gallon container I bought stated that it
was the equivalent of IH Hy-tran, JD (forgot the name), and a half dozen
other similar tractor hydraulic fluids.

As for flushing out the old fluid, that's a call you will have to make.
If it is "milky", or otherwise looks contaminated, I would change it
out. Note that it is very difficult to completely clean out any
hydraulic system without completely disassembling it. But for an old
machine like an MT, getting most of the old fluid out will be good
enough. If you are really anal about that kind of thing, drain it, fill
it up with new, operated all the valves/cylinders through several
complete cycles, then drain and refill. That will get you 98% of the way.

Mike