[AT] tractor question.

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Sun May 12 19:12:36 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Yost
<clip>
Quick question.   If you need to do light grading, what is best implement?
Box blade?   I just need to create a level tote path through a piece of
property that has a light slope. So maybe be able to scrap 18" off the high
side of path.
I like the box blade for putting a finish to heavily graded land, but never
moved dirt with it.
Spencer

Using D-14 and 7 shank all-purpose plow and box-blade, I leveled sons back
yard approx two years ago.  Initially there was a two foot elevation change
across the 100 foot lot.   Tore up the ground with the all-purpose plow,
then moved loose dirt with box-blade, then repeat  (then again a couple more
times).   It worked good, but confined area doubled the time required.  You
won't have that type problem on a trail.  If trail is through the woods,
tree roots may be a big factor.
I like Cecil's Speed Mover, especially if the two rear hydraulic cylinders
can be controlled separately thus allowing a deeper cut on one side or other
side.
Also, I like Ernst's vertical angle adjustment (if using box-blade).
One of these two would certainly make Spencer's project much easier and
quicker. Again, $ come into the equation.
A plow (moldboard or disc) might work good.
Caution:  I am sure Spencer and most every one on this forum knows to
throttle down in the highest gear useable when doing such exploratory work.
Less likely to break something, or injure the tractor operator.
Herb