[AT] gas problems--off topic now do to missinformation

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sat May 11 06:00:03 PDT 2013

I know I probably shouldn't even bother, but what the hey. Most all the gas around here now is 10% ethanol.  Granted we don't work out gas tractors hard in the field every day, save the occasional plow day, most of the work they do is odd jobs that don't require max. horsepower.  But I have just not seen the doomsday scenarios with ethanol that others report.  The gas in my Cub had set in the tank since last October or so and it has started and ran fine on it all spring, I just added more the other day.  I really haven't tried to check it but I haven't noticed a huge drop in gas mileage in my vehicle either.

I live on the farm and have done so all my life and am not a fan of subsidies.  Over the years, I would say 99% of the corn produced on our farm has stayed right here until it could travel through the digestive tract of a hog.  That said, I would imagine that the other things that the feds waste our money on add up to a whole lot more than what they have given away for corn ethanol.  I also think that there's no silver bullet when it comes to developing new energy sources and we need to learn all we can so we should be making ethanol, fracking, stacking, drilling and whatever else until someone hits on something better.

Al