[AT] Mott flail mower problem

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Thu May 9 08:00:42 PDT 2013

Years ago, for several years,  Steve was one of the Portland August show
participants, back when we had close to two dozen campers in the ATIS group.
Good to know he is still around, and hopefully doing well (health wise that
is; Steve will always do well in the business world).  If memory serves he
was in New England states.
Larry's recommendations are good, like usual.  I also agree with Phil.
If you have time to pursue the "original setup"; suggest trying to find an
old Mott dealer and determine if they have any old literature, or an old
employee who might be knowledgeable.  Guy Faye, an old ATIS member, last
heard from six or eight years ago, worked part time for Wisconsin(?)
Historical Society, was a good source for similar information for IHC.
I am interested in the performance of your Mott flail mower as I bought one
fifteen years ago at an auction for $15; you can imagine the shape it is in.
Blades are badly worn, and one of the two bearing cages is cracked, but
repairable or replaceable.  I plan mounting it at right front of an Allis G,
between front and rear tire.  A neighbor back in Indiana had one mounted in
that manner; his wife enjoyed mowing their large country lawn every week.
Would appreciate your general opinion and any concerns.
TIA,
Herb