[AT] Gas problem now diesel

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Tue May 7 06:42:58 PDT 2013

Henry,
     I was using Power Service religiously all the time.  Following the
directions to the tee.  I do mix my own winter blend of No. 2 nand No.
1, so gelling is not a problem.  I stay local so my fuel generally comes
from my own storage.  Starting, power, smoke, algae are all no problem
here for me.  However the old 3406 mechanical just was not smooth.  You
could feel it in the steering wheel at idle.  Then one day about 2 years
ago I filled one tank with bio diesel and switched to that tank.  Holy
Smokes!!!  NIce, smooth running 3406 just like 15 years ago.  So, the
heck with the naysayers, I started using bio until cold weather.  I knew
that would not work and it was back to Power Service.  Old engine
returned to previous not smooth condition.  It has to be lubrication in
the injection pump.  So.....everyone alway remarked about my nice smooth
running Pratt & Whitney R1340.  My secret there was the use of MMO in
the fuel and oil.  For sure in the fuel.  2 gallons to 1000 gal.  Boy,
do I get alot of "looks" when I give out my secret. People just call it
a snake oil solution and scoff at me.  But still, the old Pratt runs
like an electric motor.  Plumb smooth.  In the Pratt, it has to do with
the valves as it is a carbureted engine.  What many do not know is that
the military used it by the millions of gallons during WWII to keep the
radials running smooth on the various grades of fuel they had to use.
It is not certified for use in aviation engines.  Interesting, eh?
Well, I figured if it would smooth out the ole Pratt, it just might
smooth out the Cat.  It did!!  Way more than Power Service.  And what it
did that PS did not do was increase the fuel mileage enough that the MMO
is free.  I mix it at the same rate in the diesel storage as the av gas
storage.  Try it.  It will not work.  Just some old auto transmission
fluid.  Seen it before.  Junk,  Snake oil.  Don't hollar at me!

Remember, the fuel is blended for the most profit for the use of the
most customers.  Mostly newer electronically controlled injection.
Ron Cook
Salix, IA