[AT] On Topic: Reintroduction letter

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu May 30 21:59:22 PDT 2013

I would like to thank everyone for their kind remarks to my post :to be
or not to be. I do remember joes visit but how time does fly. Someone
mentioned tornadoes, but they went about 80 miles south of me. Michigan,
of course, is surrounded by the great lakes. I live in the thumb of
Michigan (you might be a Michigander if you use your hand to show where
you live). I am 17 miles from Lake Huron in 3 different directions, and
90 miles north of Detroit.
            I am now 65 years old and farm 110 acres. At one time I had
another 100 acres but lost that when interest on my operating loan hit
22.5 % and my land mortgage hit 18.5% (the time that they deregulated
banks). I plan to farm this land as long as I can. I raise corn, wheat,
soybeans, and black beans. Friends ? ; accuse me of living in the past
but I simply tell them I can't afford to live in the present. Only three
items of equipment I farm with are under 40 years old. I do much of my
machinery shopping in fence rows. As an example, my cousin is about to
take delivery on a new corn chopper. He didn't give an exact cost other
than it is over 600 thousand. It is 12 rows with an 1100 horsepower V-12
engine. Yesterday, he said they have verbally agreed to buy a new 24 row
corn planter with all the bells and whistles. He didn't quote a price
other than it was upwards of 200 thousand. The holdup on there signing
the papers is they don't know if they will depend on just gps or if they
also want row markers. Why the debate; markers are a 13,000 dollar
option. This is why I chose fencerows. Also besides the farming I did
part time appliance repair for 40 years, giving that up the first of
this year. Also, before the high interest rates broke me, I had a little
over 100 head of cattle and 200 hogs; both sows and fat hogs. At this
point in life, I really have no desire to have livestock again.
              Just a little background for now ( Tractor reference, I do
have a 1949 Cub)
               Greg Hass