[AT] 318 Float

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Tue May 14 13:22:20 PDT 2013

I'm a little late to step in here but here's my input anyhow.

318-322-332 tractors share the same hydraulic plumbing setup.  The twin
cylinder 316 only has a single control valve to operate the rockshaft and a
single set of front remotes.  I have never been on one but I suspect there
is no float on their rockshaft either.

The two control levers are to the left of the operators station.

The OUTER lever operates the rockshaft cylinder and the Left hand set of
front remotes.  This is only up/down, move lever forward to lower the mower
deck, rearward to raise it.

The INNER lever operates only the right hand front remotes.  This one is a
three position valve, starting form the rear position, moving forward they
are lift-hold-lower-float.  Float position is reached by pushing the lever
through a detent at the extreme forward travel.  A normal operating valve
will "snap" past the detent and remain there until it is manually pulled
rearward, past the detent.  It is fairly common for the float detent to
stick so badly that the lever will bend before the valve will snap past the
detent.  Removing and cleaning the valve will probably cure the problem but
it is a bear to get the valve out.  Been there/done that/got the tee shirt
on a 332.

The float position allows a snowblower or front blade to ride on the ground
and follow contours of the terrain.  There is no provision for a float
function on the rockshaft cylinder, nor have I found any float function on
the rockshafts of any of the Deere garden tractors.  That would cover the
300 series, the 140s and 420-430.    The twin cylinder 316 only has a single