[Ford-ferguson] TE20

Jack Tractor jacktractor at live.com
Tue May 14 11:09:43 PDT 2013

Ferguson started building the TE20 tractor at the Standard Motor Car Company. The levels of manufacturing efficiency there were in
Ford's league. Saved Ferguson the cost of building a plant.

[link] I was recently lent a book "DECISION-MAKING AND PRODUCTIVITY" by Seymour Melman. The book was once owned by a library in
Bristol UK and sold to a private party. Much of the book covers the Standard Motor Car Company around the time they started making
the Ferguson TE20.  One interesting picture shows front and rear tractor tires being carried on an overhead conveyor line. I'll post
the photo page in the photos. Some of the transfer machining equipment was similar to transfer machining lines that Chrysler had.
The Standard plants seemed to be more complex in terms of a huge number of job classifications than anything I saw in Detroit. At
the time this book was written, the Standard/Ferguson plant in Coventry was the largest tractor plant in Western Europe. This is
before Massey Ferguson bought the Coventry plant.