[AT] Small Gas engines - OT

Paul Waugh paul at plwaugh.com
Fri May 10 15:03:49 PDT 2013

Anybody besides me getting old enough, the pulling of a rope to start a
small engine is getting to be quite a chore.  I wanted to use my power
washer today, I had it tuned 2 weeks ago, and last time I used it, one pull
and it was doing its business.  Today I could not get enough oomph to start
it. I took the pull rope attachment of and used a 15/16 socket and 20 volt
drill. I had the drill set on low setting for power. It would turn over but
not start. I pushed the drill to high speed, and man it started up very
quickly.  Pulling the rope I could not spin it fast enough, but the drill
took care of that.

I wonder why they don't make a portable electric starter for engines under 5
hp. I know my daughter cannot start a lot of them, and as a single mom she
has yard to mow.  One starter with different socket sizes would work on
several engines.  Anyway, I got the neighbor's tiller cleaned up.

Paul

I am sure Dave will have fun with this one.