[AT] Gas problem now diesel

henry miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue May 7 04:07:03 PDT 2013

I use power service anytime I'm worried about gel, lubrication, cetane, or algie (different products for different needs).  I have two reasons for this brand:

Something made for the job is probably safer than a guess as to what will work, and a prayer that it will help, not cause damage.

On several diesel forums I've seen discussions on some additive, and soon someone writes power service and gets a technical answer. It has engineering details, not marketing b.s. - or at least it has enough details that my freshman chemistry is not enough to find what is wrong.

As for ULSD and lubrication, oil companies do add lubrication: to meet the minimun levels that engine manufactures require. They will not spend a penny more though.  There is on exception to this rule: biodiesel is an excelent lubrication, and so if they are blending biodiesel they automatically get much better lubrication.  Biodiesel is an expensive additive though, and so they never use it for lubrication, they use it either to meet legal requirements, or for environmental marketing.

Note that biodiesel is a host of other issues in a modern engine. It is a great lubricator though. Old engines it is wonderful stuff - unless it disolves the fuel lines.