[AT] most uncomfortable to drive tractor

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu Mar 28 14:48:05 PDT 2013

I agree with the comment about tractors and implements. We use most of our
tractors as farm tools except when we do the Christmas or Horse Show parades
in town. I would also say that the biggest changes for most people about
getting on/off and also operating a particular tractor are related to
fitness not age. I.e. weight gain or loss, exercise level, diet that causes
joint disorders or arthritis etc. This is not to say that some tractors are
not simply poorly designed for ease of operation as some certainly are.
Also, for me the Oliver tractors post Hart-Parr are easy to operate because
most are sized for a taller person and I love the layouts from the
Fleetlines onward for the operator. They also are tall, which I like.
     My Allis C even though small is good for its purpose - irrigation pipe
hauling tractor with racks on it. Would I like it for some other things as
much as the Olivers? NO. The Farmall A/100/130/140 are terrific cultivating
tractors but impossible for me to operate myself. The many smaller
Caterpillars I have operated are easy for me, but I have never tried a
pre-hydraulic steering assist (my D8 has that - 1953 after market) big Cat.
          Grant Brians
          Hollister, California Vegetable, Nuts and Fruit farmer