[AT] most uncomfortable to drive tractor

Mike mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Mar 24 14:13:41 PDT 2013

I have only driven my Ford 2N for a few hours, so I can't comment on the
Ford N, although I found it quite comfortable. I am 5' 10" with size 10
feet. Remember that the Ford N tractor was designed in the 1930s with
one purpose in mind: plowing and cultivating. That is a job where
turning, braking, clutchng, etc. is only done infrequently. And I have
owned and driven many cars and trucks from the period, and they were
pretty uncomfortable also.

I have spent a lot of time with my Ford 860, Farmall Super M, various
Cubs, Farmall 340, International 340U,Farmall 706, Farmall 560, and a
Case 430CK. Of that assortment, I can easily say that the Case is by far
the most uncomfortable. Part of the problem may be that somewhere along
the line, the seat was replaced by a generic seat that doesn't really
place the operator's butt where it needs to be. I wish I could find an
original seat for it, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Now, comfortable to sit in and operate vs. difficulty of mounting and
dismounting is another issue. The Farmall Super M, International 240U,
and Farmall 340 are a real drag to get on and off of, and the old Cub
Lo-Boy is really cramped. But the Case 340CK again wins hands down, also
because of the seat. I don't know what the guy was thinking when he put
that seat on, but I have to guess that the OEM seat had fallen apart or
something.

Mike