[AT] Summer is here

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Fri Mar 15 15:25:08 PDT 2013

    As a child and teen ager, we always had geese on the farm to weed the
soybeans. All other times they were in the cow pasture just across the fence
from the yard. One old gander would peck anything he could reach through the
fence. One day the dog got pecked on the nose by him. The dog knew the
quickest way through the fence and in a minute had the gander down, giving
him a good workover. Didn't do any permanent damage to the gander, but he
kept his distance from the fence after that.

    Something meaner than a gander is a tom turkey. Amish I have delivered
to had a tom that seemed to hate the color red. I would be wearing a red
sweatshirt and he would come after me every time. If I wasn't wearing red,
he kept his distance. Usually just make a quick move toward him and he would
back down.

     Gene