[AT] Off Topic: Well Drilling

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 13 04:38:41 PDT 2013

Mike I was thinking there was some stuff on there somewhere about a hand
pump but
I can fill in the details on that for you.   The procedure is exactly the
same.
After the well pipe is driven the water level in the pipe can't be over
about 25' or your
hand pump will never lift it.  You just purchase the type hand pump you want
and
mount it to the top of the pipe making sure there are no air leaks.   You
always need to
keep a couple of gallons of clean water around to prime the pump unless you
have a really
high water table and a good water flow.   To prime it you just pour some
water in the pump
as you pump the handle.   You'll feel the suction as it starts to lift the
water from the well.

They actually do make a hand pump for situations where your water level is
deep.  It just
has a long rod with the pump leather on the end so that it goes way down in
the well pipe.

in there is a
hand pump that shows a web site in the picture.  It's a PVC pump rather than
the old style
cast iron units.   It actually wouldn't be all that hard to make your own
pump head after you figure
out how it works.

Charlie