[AT] 3 pt backhoe

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Mar 4 21:02:33 PST 2013

Don:
If you are in clay soil you will have to put about 1ft of sand below and
above your pipe.  I assume you are using water in the lines in the
ground.  There is a system that is installed with a drilling rig and
puts a coper freon line in the drill hole and backfilled.  It takes
about 250 feet per ton with these systems. I have 3000 ft in the ground
for a 3.5 ton unit.  This is 2 inch 200 psi pipe with glued joints
installed in 1500 ft of trench with 1 ft of sand below and above the
pipe.  I dug it with 2 backhoes in about 3 weeks in a very tight clay
soil.  If I did it again, I would use a trencher.  If you can find an
old wheel trencher to rent or buy, it would make a better trench for
your needs.  If you ahve to fill the ditch with sand then the spoil pile
is out of your way.     You have to use sand in clay soils to make the
water transfer the heat.  Water in the soil is what transfers the heat
into or out of the ground.   I installed one of the first Ground source
systems in OKlahoma in 1985.  In March 2010 lightning hit nearby and
took out the entire unit.   I installed a newer top of the line model
with  the variable scroll compressor and variable fan speed.   I still
need to install the new thermostat as with the old one it only is
running at 65% capacity.  The new one lowered our electric bill  over
$100 per month..
Cecil in OKla