[AT] 3 pt backhoe

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 06:14:05 PST 2013

I need to dig about 600' of 6' trench for a ground source heat pump,
excavate a foundation and maybe dig a drain field.  With two tractors
around here I wonder if a three point backhoe would be worth the
investment.  How much tractor do one of those typically require?  I know
where I can borrow one and have seen a couple of CL but do not know the
power requirements.  Is there any sort of rule of thumb regarding boom
length and bucket size?

This is the Ozarks with lots of rocks.  Bedrock is not very far down but
the area I plan to dig is the bottom of a little valley where there are
fewer rocks and a 6' excavation the PO did for a basement did not hit
bedrock.

--
Don Bowen           AD0BR
"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."