[AT] 224T baler

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Mar 3 16:39:26 PST 2013

Maybe I should have weighed in here earlier..   I have run a 24 Wire tie
Deere Baler.  It was made in the early 50's and has been shedded all its
life.  It never has been in the rain.  I first ran it 2 years ago after
borrowing it from a neighbor and baling some bermuda grass.  It was
missing 4 of the bands in the pickup and several teeth.  It had 1/4 inch
clearance between the plunger knives!!   I baled 350 bales in 8 hours
with it in that condition.  I could not afford to stop and repair it
because I had people fighting over every bale that came out.  A storm
was predicted that night.  I broke 4 shear pins before I figured out
what sped to run at, all due to the plunger knives..   I set the knife
clearance, and the baler chamber was worn bad due to the plunger cocking
in the chamber from the loose adjusted wear plates.   I greased the wear
surfaces and started baling again about 6 months later.  I pulled it
with my 8345 Belarus.  It baled 160 bales in about 2 hours and only
missed 2 bales.  No pins were sheared.  This was in some very rough
ground and baling bluestem.   The 224 has a wider pickup than the 24,
but is the same baler.  My only problem was the swather hadlaid out a
wider windrow.  If I was to buy that baler, I hope I get the chance, I
would attach some pickup wheels on it or one at the outside of the
pickup to pull the windrow in. the knotters are not really any different
than IH , or NH, so if it is a fair price and you can use it  I would
buy it.  A good 224T would bring from 1500 to 2500 here in OK.... Twine
balers are higher than wire balers.

  Be sure not to buy one of those Hesston in-line balers.  I had one and
never could bale a decent bale with it.  The chains have to run so tight
they wear out quickly.  You have to have a steady windrow also, not
heavy and light with an in-line baler.   I gave 44500 for it and sold it
for 400 and paid the auctioneer 5% and was happy to see it go......

Cecil in OKla