[AT] On Topic: Reintroduction letter

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Jun 6 19:20:20 PDT 2013

I have 1.5 of that mower. The complete one was 5 foot but someone let
the mower pulley rub something so bad that it pretty much wore out one
side of the pulley. It was so sharp that it would cut the belt. I
replaced it with the parts pulley. I tried the mower a couple of times
(it would really come in handy for the edges of ditches) ; my problem
was that the whole tractor shook so bad, and especially the radiator
that I was afraid of breaking the core solder. At the time it was a new
radiator, 10 years ago.  I then put on the 4 1/2 foot cutter bar from
the parts mower thinking it might run easier and have less knife going
back and forth. No improvement. I then talked to an old IH mechanic I
knew. He had been around so long that he told me when he was younger he
had spent 3 days helping set up and adjust a brand new IH threshing
machine my grandfather had bought in the late 1920's. He said these
mowers never were any good as they shook the tractor apart and just
plane shook everything to pieces.  Another guy told me a few years ago
that his didn't shake, but mine sure does. Other than bad design, the
thing I have wondered is if I have some supports of some kind missing
from the hood, radiator area. I have the side pieces on the front of the
hood but have wondered if there are some other supports missing.
Remember, this Cub was 50 years old when I bought it so anything could
have happened during this time. I have not tried this mower in almost 10
years. Any thoughts?
           Greg Hass