[AT] digging potatoes

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 30 17:38:00 PDT 2013

The land was too wet to harrow over once without letting it air dry last
Tues. We've had close to 5 inches of rain since then. My milo is coming up,
should know in a couple days how good of a stand we'll have. I'm worried it
is going to rot with all this rain. We had a storm come thru Friday night
and did a lot of damage in areas of my corn fields and some of my early
milo. We had milo leaning in 2-3 directions, makes me think there was some
rotation with that wind. It broke a few trees to the west of me, and even
brought a couple out of the ground. It ripped some tin off a shed that we
had a load of hay under. I got the roof fixed, but most of the hay was lost.
Not happy about this weather, but compared to some folks we are very
fortunate. There is a lot of wheat left to be harvested here and the window
for planting soybeans should close this week. I'm sure there will be some
risk takers that will plant some real late beans, probably be OK unless we
get an early frost.

What's that old saying, a drought will scare you but wet weather will kill
you?

John Hall