[AT] garden question; potatoes

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 24 04:11:03 PDT 2013

Our soil will crust over as well. For long rows you can take a potato digger
and break the crust so the beans can come through. We also have a tool that
goes on the tractor to break the crust. It is basically 1/2 of a set of
rolling cultivators or a small section from a rotary hoe. It mounts
underneath the tractor (Farmall Super A) and is spring loaded so as not to
apply too much pressure. I have no idea why it is here, it is very old. It
may have been bought to help prepare seedbeds if the soil had too many clods
in it. It's too much work to put on for just a couple short rows.

John Hall