[AT] Most wore out tractor (long)

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Jun 17 22:03:09 PDT 2013

Most of the 35HP or larger tractors on our farm spent a very large percentage of their
useful life pulling drawbar connected implements such as plows, disks, harrows and rotary
hoes. Other than Ford tractors with three point hitches almost all of the 30's, 40's, 50's
IH, JD, AC, Oliver, MM, etc tractors were used with tag along implements. Until the early
50's when various two point and other type three point hitches started becoming used. Then
in 1953 when the Ferguson/Ford suit got settled and the Ferguson System patent became a
non-issue many manufacturers starting offering three point type hitches and implements.
However, in our area in NW IA it took a long time for the farmers to adopt to three point
hitches because it required purchasing all new tractors and implements and there was some
who didn't really feel the need to have three point implements on their tractors because
they didn't need the increased traction afforded by the load and depth control features of
an active top link three point hitch that was an absolute requirement on the Fords.
Therefore many tractors even into the early 60's were strictly drawbar tractors and
therefore show considerable wear on the drawbar hole.  I used to think finding a tractor
with a pristine, not out of round, drawbar hole was definitively indicative of a low hour
tractor until I realized how easily and inexpensively a replacement drawbar could be
installed.  However, many of the lower HP Row Crop tractors were used as utility tractors
rather than doing the daily field work and they show less wear at the drawbar.
 One of the reasons why many of the lower HP Row Crop tractors have a higher market value
than their bigger brothers along with just being lighter and easier to transport for shows
etc.

However, when I was able to obtain my first real antique tractor I wasn't completely
satisfied until I could hook a heavy load on the drawbar and make that engine bark so that
I could relive the 1000's of hours I spent doing heavy field work when I was knee high to
a grasshopper all the way through my teenage years.  So I guess I don't care anymore if
the drawbar hole gets a little more oblong.  :-)

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll never need one
again.