[AT] Test

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jun 16 09:56:42 PDT 2013

Ralph and Mattias,

It's something that has been going on in the south since the early 50's
that I know of and probably before.  I actually think the practice came out
of necessity of sorts.  When you are working on the farm doing something
like harvesting tobacco and your hands are very dirty and you need some
refreshment it's had to do because you can't stop and clean up.  So, you get
a bottled soft drink and a small bag of peanuts, tear the top off of the
peanut
bag with your teeth and pour them in the drink.  Then you can eat the
peanuts
and wash them down with Coke, Pepsi, Orange, Grape or whatever without
having
to handle the food with your nasty hands.

I guess it's an acquired taste.  The salt in the peanuts takes the fizz out
of the drink
and changes it's taste a bit but to those of us that are used to it, it sure
is good.
Not many folks do it now days.   I suspect the folks in my neighborhood who
are
under 50 and about half of those who are over 50 would find it just as
strange as
you do.  Of course none of them ever pulled tobacco either.

Charlie