[AT] NorTrack tractors

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Jun 7 21:41:12 PDT 2013

I don't know what your son needs a tractor for, so it is rather hard to
suggest a make or style. However, I have had very good service from my
Belarus tractors. They do not cost a lot to begin with.  I would stay
away from the air cooled ones.  I cannot say enough good about mine.   I
found my 1996 822 4wd with a loader for $6500, and my 2006 8345 w/
loader for $12000. I ahve spent a total of $250 in the last 3 years on
both of them including filters.  Parts are readily available and service
is simple....  I thought long and hard before buying my first one, my
822.  I had heard all kinds of bad things about Russian tractors, the
balls were flat in the bearings, gears were out of round, no bushings
where there should be, etc.etc.etc......   The only complaint I have is
on the Air conditioning and that was installed in the USA!!!  I will get
the A/C fixed this year for sure.  It will be the only thing I have had
to repair.... It was not working when I bought it....

That said, I would rather buy an old Ford, IH, Deere, Case, or Allis
than buy one of those Korean or Indian or Chinese made ones.   Montana
is Korean, Mahindra is Indian, and I thought it was a copy of the MF
135, 150, and 165 series..  The 50XX series Allis Chalmers were made in
Japan and parts are nearly unobtainable, so you have to do some
research.  With all the outsourcing that was done since the 80's you can
get stuck pretty easily...

A study of the tractor manufacturers can explain why the country is in
the shape it is now......

Just my $0.02

Cecil in OKla