[AT] New tractor now baler

Dan Folske dfolske at nccray.net
Wed Jun 5 04:48:07 PDT 2013

I've been pulling a Case IH RS561 Autocycle which is an 856 Hesston but have
just upgraded to a Challenger RB56 with net wrap.
It is the same as a 956 Hesston.  Both balers will make a 6 ft diameter by 5
ft wide bale rated up to 2200 lbs.

I generally make them about 66 inches diameter and my grass bales will weigh
1500 to 1700 at that size. The 1850 was plenty of hp on dry level ground or
even on the hills if I dropped down to 3rd gear. My hydra power over running
clutches are shot otherwise 4th and low would have been ok. It would pull it
up the hills in 4th high but I had to watch the engine temp pretty close.

On level ground 5th and low idled back a little was good but then I didn't
have anything left to pull though soft spots especially if the bale was
almost full.

The 1850 now stays on a 7 ft rototiller all spring and will pull a 9 wheel
rake or a 12 wheel v-rake for haying.