[AT] Somewhat OT: White GT problem

Doug Tallman dtallman at accnorwalk.com
Tue Jun 4 11:39:39 PDT 2013

Steve, a couple thoughts:
1st, Does the fuel tank have a shut-off? These engines were common to
have the needle and seat leak and the tank would gravity feed into the
engine while setting. Your description of the way it was running sounds
like a leaky needle and seat. Usually the oil would show overfull. Did
you check it before firing it up?? If not........shame-shame! :-) They
usually don't have a shut-off from the factory. i'd install one even if
it wasn't your problem this time. The next trick is remembering to use it!

The second thought would be that by having it tipped up it filled the
valve chamber where the breather tube hooks and it couldn't drain down
fast enough. Not sure if that's even possible on that engine. Another
thing I've seen happen on the overhead valve engines is that the head
gasket blows out between the cylinder and the area that the pushrods
come up out of the crankcase. (poor design) When that happens, it blows
oil out the breather too. I think at this point I would change the ooil
and fire it up again to see what happens.

Doug T