[AT] junk

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 21 04:50:42 PDT 2013

I'm really glad they are pushing it. It creates a new market for us.  Wheat,
corn, soybeans, sorghum, tobacco and hay are the only field crops you can
grow here that have a market. No market for barley, oats or sunflowers.  For
whatever reason, commercial vegetable production never caught on, probably
due to the lay of the land and shorter growing season. Red clay isn't very
forgiving to sweet potatoes and peanuts either.

I was told a few years ago that NC could use all the corn it could produce
just in animal feed. Since so much got diverted to ethanol production in the
Midwest, I think that is why the push for grain sorghum here. You guys in
the eastern part of the state can compete somewhat with the corn belt on
yield, but around here a FANTASTIC crop that everyone would talk about would
be 140-170 bushels. When I talked to my insurance agent about planting corn,
he told me to do the math and don't go to the field if I couldn't make it
work on 80 bushel corn. I chose my best land and so far have some really
nice looking corn. Its taller than I want which scares me, especially after
a storm we had knocked a bunch down just before it tasseled--fortunately it
straightened back up. Supposedly there is 3 times the amount of sorghum
planted around here than it was last year.

John Hall