[AT] Shop Traditions

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 26 03:29:07 PDT 2013

My grandfather ran a taxi business for 50 years, started it in the 30's. He had a garage in the back of his 1 acre lot. I remember the smell of kerosine from his shop heater. It was 1 bay wide and about 50 feet long. It had a back room full of tires. He also had a shed off to the side with a few High Boys for oil. He had an old gas pump from the 50's and the drivers would come in to fill up a few times a day.

It was up on Long Island. I would go there for a few weeks in the summer and watch him fix cars, then go drive around in a taxi with him.

When he passed away I was able to get his Wilton Vise, Sioux Valve Seat Grinder  and his Walker Roller jack . Also grabbed his electric tire changer. Still use them today and I'm glad I have them. Grabbed the high boys but had no use for them, had to scrap those.

Wow, I can remember that place like it was yesterday.