[AT] Ford 4000 Quitting Afer Running a While

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Sun Jul 14 10:33:10 PDT 2013

Charlie,  not trying to disagree with you but doesn't a rich mixture light
easier?  From playing around with economy measures in his cars, back
during/after the '73 gas crunch, a friend of mine pretty much established
that a lean mixture required a hotter spark and the inverse was true as
well.

With that in mind enriching the mixture would let a weakening coil to
produce enough spark to light that richer mixture.

I'm not much of a fan of diagnosing by throwing parts at a problem but, in
this case, knowing nothing positive about when this machine last saw service
I am leaning towards refreshing the ignition system and eliminating that
from further consideration if the problem persists.

What is the likelihood of an ignition switch developing high resistance and
lowering voltage to the coil?  If I could reach the switch I would be
inclined to see if it gets hot after running for a while.  From what I can
see the only way to reach the switch is to remove the dash panel.   That
becomes a bit of a big deal for me as I have only partial function in my
left hand, making it hard to deal with fasteners that are hard to get at.

Where do you check resistance on a coil?  I have a good meter and now I'm
getting curious about any difference in resistance between cold and hot
conditions at the coil.

Keep the dialog coming.

Al