[AT] 1340 Hesston swather PTO shaft

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Jul 10 16:26:14 PDT 2013

I bought a 1340 Hesston Disc mower conditioner from a dealer Monday
morning.   He advised the machine was ready to go to work, they had
checked it out, it was only rough looking.  I checked the rotors, and
they were tight, the driveline looked good, it did not have the front
half of the PTO shaft, but dealer advised he had the CV joint half and
it was good.  I paid his asking price of $4250 and requested a set of
blades and that he deliver it ( about 30 miles to my place).   I found
that my TS110 New Holland did not have the 1000 RPM stub shaft
required  for the Hesston, so I spent the rest of the day fixing a flat
on my 2-105 White tractor about a 1976 model. I have had problems with
the 3pt lift cylinders leaking on the White, so I spent most of the next
day getting the lift cylinders plugged off and taking the lift arms
off.  Lift arms are a major cause of bent PT O shafts.  I also had to
remove the dual wheels that had been on the tractor for the last 15
years.  The flat was on the left inside dual, the tube had separated
from the valve stem, and still had liquid in the tire.  A real mess...
I ended up bolting on the dual wheel in place of the original.  Finally
got the swather hooked up and greased and ready to go about 6pm
yesterday. The drive shaft vibrated so much you could not stay in the
cab and I never got it over 400 RPM.   I removed the drawbar extension
this morning and tried it again and this time I sped it up to about 500
-600 RPM   The strobe effect of the video camera really showed what the
shaft was doing.

The link to the video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhkF1yF-7rg

The dealer wants me to pay his cost of $1200 for a new shaft, or he can
get an aftermarket shaft for $700 cost and me to pay all of that.  I
really do not think I should have to pay the cost of the shaft when I
was told it was ready to go and I paid his asking price, paid by good
check,  and did not attempt to get it at a lower price.

Cecil in OKla