[AT] John Deere power unit

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Tue Jul 9 15:47:39 PDT 2013

At an estate auction recently my brother bought a John Deere LUC power
unit that had been on a pull type combine.  It was sold as is because
the mechanic hired by the family to get everything running had been
unable to get it started. The mechanic said that it had spark, but that
an exhaust valve was stuck open but he ran out of time to go any
further. After getting it home, my brother was able to get the valve
working without removing the head. The gas bowel was leaking gas to bad
to use but he was able to get a little smoke by squirting gas in the
carburetor,but after fixing the bowel gasket; no fire. I helped him take
apart the carburetor and we could tell the previous owner had never
gotten it running, although it appears he tried as it had a new muffler,
had been nicely painted, and he had made a new gas bowel gasket
(unfortunately he made it out of corrugated cardboard,thus the leak.) A
few days ago my brother installed a kit in the carb and cleaned it up.
He has gotten some smoke out the exhaust and also actual fire out of the
carb; the air cleaner is unhooked while he tries to get it started. I
was there a couple of nights ago when he cranked it any we both think it
is a timing problem (could be bad valves but we don't really think so at
this point.) The problem is,at this point we have no idea of what the PO
might have done. Did he have the mag out and got the timing off putting
it back on, is the mag tilted wrong, are the wires reversed; or is the
mag off half a turn? Also we don't understand this engine as to how it
fires. Is it even or does it have that odd JD firing order; we have
always been IH people but lately my brother has started jumping ship. My
question to the list is this; any help on how to set the timing on this
engine would be greatly appreciated.
                 Greg Hass