[AT] tin roof repair

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Jul 4 08:22:27 PDT 2013

jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> Our farm has quite a few buildings with old tin roofs. Some are 50-60
> years old. We’ve always kept them painted and reasonably well
> maintained, but the ones that are relatively flat are starting to
> develop some leaks. I’ve gone to using screws instead of nails to
> secure loose tin. This really helps keep things tight but due to old
> age, storm damage over time, and just normal heating and cooling
> causing things to move, we’ve gotten some bad leaks that really need
> attention. I’ve used black tar roofing patching before but it seems
> to turn loose over time. It works real good when there is an obvious
> hole to fix, but when you have leaks that are hard to find, it’s not
> my favorite to use. What are you guys using to fix leaks that seems
> to work for long periods of time? Ideally new roofs are in order, but
> that is just not feasible.
>
> John Hall

Flexing tin roofs are a PIA. The best stuff I have used is elastomeric
roof coat. Sold at most builders supply /home supply places. Basically
it is thick latex emulsion. To get it to stay REAL good pressure wash
the roof to get any loose dirt, coating, crud off. use roof tar to patch
any larger holes. Then ROLL it on. You want to apply 2 coats at least,
in two directions to unsure good coverage.

Once it fully cures it is like a rubber glove on the roof. The brand I
used was Kool Seal, has a 25 year warranty and so far after 5 years it
shown no signs of failure and this is on a house trailer with a tin roof
the ripples in the wind. The older aluminum type stuff would peel off in
chunks after 2-3 years.

It isn't real cheap but it is MUCH cheaper than a new roof.
This is a 42X16 trailer with a low peak roof and 6 gallons gave it 3
full coats.

--
Steve W.