[AT] Stove pipe

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:56:07 PST 2013

Andy,  how does your pipe run?  Make sure it is always sloping upwards away
from the stove and toward the outside or the building.  NO flat runs.
It doesn't need much slope but some.  An inch in 4' is plenty.  If it is
rusting out near the heater it is probably just burning out from the heat
cycles
but making sure the pipe is run right will keep it dry inside when the stove
is shut off.  It's been a long time since I ran a stove with single wall tin
pipe
but I suspect 2 or 3 seasons is not unreasonable in some cases but it should
last longer I think.

One more tip.  The more pipe you run inside the shop before the stack goes
outside the better.  That way the smoke cools and the heat is transferred
by the pipe to the inside of the building instead of being lost outside.
There used to be a small hardware store in my hometown.  The guy heated it
with a cast iron wood stove.  His pipe went up until it was above head high
and then ran through the two main rooms of the store for about 30' I guess
before it went outside and up.  He could have easily run it out in the other
direction by removing a window pain about 4 feet from the heater and running
it through that hole but he wanted the smoke to cool inside.

Another trick I learned from him that the EPA would frown on now was how to
burn waste
motor oil in the stove.  He had a 3/8" hole drilled in the top of the stove.
Through that hole was a piece of copper tubing with the end squeezed shut
on the inside of the stove.  The other end of the tubing went into a small
tank hanging a few feet above and away from the stove.  There was a shut off
valve in the tubing.  When he wanted the extra heat from the oil he'd open
the valve.  The oil would seep through the squeezed shut end of the tube and
drip......drip........drip into the firebox.

Charlie