[AT] Smoking Diesels

Bruce Fallon bfallon at whidbey.com
Sun Jan 20 08:30:39 PST 2013

My Isuzu diesel a 86 NPR BD1T  smoked really bad for the previous owner and
myself with no load. Blue smoke like it was cold. The previous owner said it
never got warm. Under load it was not bad but loafing or cruising with
minimal load just a constant cloud. You either had to be on the throttle or
off unless you wanted a cloud following you.   I could tell it was unburned
fuel.  Had the injectors rebuilt no help. Finally blew the turbo and decided
to tear it down, had a broken ring on number 4.  New rings, new turbo, when
it went back together no change. Took it to Harris Ford Isuzu in Lynnwood
what a joke. They told me the injectors were bad after just having them
rebuilt by a real diesel shop, the timing was off and they adjusted it. No
change whatsoever. When I got home looked and they never had a wrench on the
pump bolts. When I asked them how they set the timing without touching the
pump now the story was "Oh the timing was fine".  I finally decided it had
to be timing. I or the previous owner had not had the pump off. I took the
pump loose and turned it like advancing a distributor. Advanced it all I
could.  What a change.  I still need to take the pump off someday and
actually make sure it is correctly timed.  My guess is somewhere in its
lifetime someone had the pump off and put it back 1 tooth off the mark.
Timing was so late the fuel did not have time to burn.

Bruce Fallon
Langley, WA 98260