[AT] Question on Massey 255

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 19 20:37:13 PST 2013

On 1/19/2013 10:01 PM, Mike Meulenberg wrote:
> I have a Massey 255 with a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel engine. The problem I'm having is it never seems to warm up. I don't think its ever been in the green "operating" range since I've owned it; I'm thinking the thermostat might be stuck open, but was hoping to hear from others before I tear into it. It is quite smokey also, which I would take for a symptom of running cold. Any thoughts.
> Thanks,
> Mike M
> _____
I would suspect the thermostat. My Super 90 with the Perkins 270 diesel
warms up even in this cold Sask. winter as long as I have the grille
completely covered and drive it a little while. Seems like all diesels
have different "smoke habits". My Massey hardly smokes at all even on a
cold winter start. It will smoke some black if I work it hard. Some of
my other diesels will almost smoke me out of the shed on a cold start.

Ralph in Sask.