[AT] Water Lines

k7jdj at aol.com k7jdj at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 17:49:32 PST 2013

As I said in a previous post I would not use plastic fittings with poly pipe.  All of the fittings I used in the 70's in my own installation failed in the 90's.  One was under the concrete in my shop.  The pipe was buried with sand and I still had fitting failures and yes they  were schedule 40.  In my business I have repaired/replaced 100 psi pipe and plastic fittings.  They have been good for my business. They seem to last about 10 to 20 years. I agree that galvanized steel fittings are not good so I use brass.  If I can convince the customer, I use compression fittings (some plumbers call them Ford fittings, which is a brand name). That is what all of the water districts use in this area.   Most of the water districts in my area (Western Washington) require 200 psi 1 inch Iron Pipe Size (IPS).  Glued pipe is discouraged and in some cases not allowed.

Gary
Renton, WA