[AT] Water Lines

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Fri Jan 4 11:07:07 PST 2013

I agree, Mike, re: your' comment on small pipe size.  Let me describe my
own situation:  I have a 3/4" meter, the pressure at the meter on hot
summer days (when most everyone around feels they have to be watering
something) is often no better than 30 psi (I am on a community water
system), my house (according to my GPS) is 30 feet higher in elevation
than the meter and I have ~600 feet of 2" pipe between the meter and
house.  I don't recall Al mentioning his pressure at the meter or if/how
much of a rise he might have from his meter to the house so my situation
may not be at all applicable to his.  But when I read that he was planning
on 800-900 ft of 3/4 to 1 in pipe I did let out a "Yikes."

Let me just add that pipe size CAN affect both flow AND pressure.  If I
put a pressure gage on a hose bibe at the house (with no water running)
the reading will be close to what it is down at the meter.  However, if I
open a faucet or two at the house the pressure reading will then go down
quite noticeable (in my case like 20% as I recall).  Of course the amount
of the pressure loss is a function of the capacity of the water source to
the meter -

Dudley