[AT] County/City Water Connection: What size meter to use?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:55:29 PST 2013

Al,  of course the 1" would be better but I'm thinking the 3/4 meter with
the 1" line might be a good idea.
The thing is that you are pushing the water so far and there is some degree
of flow restriction in the pipe.
A 1" pipe will flow approximately 75% more water at the same pressure as a
3/4" line.  Do the 1" meter if you
can stomach the impact fee.  If not save that 1600 and spend it on putting
in a well of your  own (even if it's a
shallow well) so you will have a back up water source for watering flowers
and washing cars and in case something
happens to the water supply from the county.

We were where we are before there was county water here.  When it came
through I didn't sign on and we are still on
well water.  20 years more or less later I've spent maybe 100 buck on water
pump repairs (pressure switches, and air
volume control valves) and haven't paid a water bill yet.  The only down
side is that there is some iron in our water that is
not present in our county water but otherwise the water quality from the
well is just as good.

Charlie