[AT] Never Heard Such a Bang!

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 27 19:00:57 PST 2013

On 2/27/2013 8:19 PM, Ben Wagner wrote:

> So the question is, what does the problem seem to be?  I have worked on
> quite a few engines (but not as many as the folks on this list) but I've
> never heard such a bang without a hot engine and too much choke!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Ben Wagner

I had a similar reaction on an International truck years ago when I
replaced the ignition resistor with what was supposed to be the right
one. Very hard starting taking a lot of choke, ran terrible. One day
while trying to start it literally blew the muffler apart. I removed the
new resistor, put the old cracked one back on , repaired with a little
duct tape and it has worked perfect ever since. This was a 12 volt
system with the external, firewall mounted resistor.
Your tractor might not have a resistor but could your coil be getting weak?

Ralph in Sask.