[AT] paint question

louis at kellnet.com louis at kellnet.com
Fri Feb 8 06:40:10 PST 2013

Tractor Supply no longer uses Valspar paint.  You pay for what you get.  The
$35/gal paint has no UV resistance, they use cheaper binders and pigments.
Hardener helps it last a little longer, but it still fades pretty quick.
Cheaper paint tends to not be as durable.  If you don't care about looks or
overall durability, cheap paint is fine.  Back in 1988, I painted my John
Deere D with Dupont Imron.  At the time it was $100 per gallon, outrageous.
But 25 years later, people have a hard time believing me about how old the
paint is, because it still looks really good.

If you are using the paint where rust and corrosion are a problem, POR15 is
the product to use.  If the metal is properly prepared, you will paint it
once and never have to think about it again. POR15 will kill any rust that
gets painted over.  It will seal the metal tight and won't come off.  A
friend of mine has a landscaping business.  He has a 1987 Ford F350 that he
bought new, it has a stake side body on it.  I painted the sides with Imron,
the bed frame with POR15, then went over top of it with black Industrial
Imron.  That was 12 years ago.  At the same time he had his other truck done
at a body shop.  The one I did for him, the paint still looks pretty good,
the one the body shop did looks tough again.

You might want to consider Dupont Imron 3.5 HG.  It is an industrial
polyurethane paint.  You can brush in temperatures' down to 35 degrees. The
black color is fairly reasonable in price.  I think a gallon is about $70
plus activator.  Once it is dry, good luck on getting it off.  I had to
sandblast some off one time.  It used 5 times as much sand and time to get
it off, compared to enamel paint.

The cost in doing a paint job, is not so much in the cost of the paint.  It
is in the cost of properly preparing the surface that is being painted. A
poor prep job equals a poor paint job.  Consider how often you want to
scrape and sand the items you need to paint.  If you enjoy doing that type
of work the cheaper paint will work fine.  If you don't want to think about
again for at least 15 years, use the better stuff, not necessarily show car
paint, but tough durable paint.  I know all of Cedar Fair parks (Cedar
Point, Knott's Berry Farm, Kings Island, etc... 11 parks in all) use Dupont
3.5 HG Imron.  My Dupont paint dealer sells it to them. I am within 20 miles
of Cedar Fairs headquarters and main park.

Just my 2 cents,  I work with this stuff all the time.

Louis Spiegelberg
Spiegelberg Restoration and Service, LTD
440-965-7679 shop
sales at srstractor.com
www.srstractor.com
http://www.facebook.com/SRSLTD