[AT] snow plowing

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Feb 1 21:45:51 PST 2013

Carl Gogol wrote:
> If the snow was sufficiently deep, and especially if it was known that
> someone local was missing, a deep probing team was sent ahead of the blower
> to insure the absence of a vehicle.
>
> The movie of the snow bucking did not mention that the clutch was disengaged
> as soon as contact with the bank was made to save the drivetrain.  These
> Walter snow fighters had optional lock up differentials and transmissions.
> they were usually engaged only when it was necessary for retreating
> purposes.
>
> Carl  Gogol

This is a vid done from the cab of a 71 Walter. Walter didn't change
much of the design of the plows over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWlilgb3fQ

The 65 I used to drive  was just about a twin to this except it had a 6
speed and 4 wheel steering.
Bucking was "frowned" upon by the boss but there were many times it was
the only way to get through. I like hearing the crews who drive the new
plows complain about how bad they have it with a one way plow and one
wing. On the Walter the driver ran the V and both wings if he was solo.
If you got a wingman he ran only the right wing.
The V was used for breaking open roads normally, we also used it to wing
back the shoulders because the wing beams were able to handle the stress
of high wing work better than the one way trucks. The V plow has one BIG
advantage though. It is self centering if the road has a good crown.
Once you know where the center is you can stay on the road much better.
That becomes important when you get into loose snow and can barely see
the hood...

--
Steve W.