[AT] Tractor Fluid (OT, only maybe)

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 17:21:25 PST 2013

Greg, when dad worked for an IH dealer they always had their customers use
30W oil in the letter series Farmalls (they sold Quaker State and the IH
branded oils). I think those engines are very forgiving. We always used a
HD30W for diesels in the Super A's and M here (first it was Phillips 66 then
we went to Exxon). This dates back to when these tractors worked to earn
their keep. We never have had an engine failure due to oil.

Regarding the transmission, we normally use 90W but on some really tired
machines we've dumped in 140W. The way we figure it if it has all leaked out
and the owner isn't keeping it checked, heavier oil is better than no oil!

Getting back to IH branded oils, I have a Cadet that has never had anything
but IH Low Ash. The dealer dad worked for had customers that swore by that
stuff, claimed the engine would burn anything else. I think it was Heritage
Iron magazine that published a really good article on the IH Oils about a
year ago. It contained quite a bit of good info. I believe dad told me he
went to a training school on oils put on by IH back in the early/mid 70's.

Regarding switching oils, I grew up listening to old timers say not to do
it. Any used equipment we buy gets whatever we use in the rest of the fleet
(with the exception of my Cadet). I did have a problem with my Ford pickup
when I switched from Penzoil to Exxon, it started having lifter trouble the
next day. My mechanic friend told me to switch to Havoline and add Lucas,
problem solved. I guess the Exxon oil was more of a detergent oil and turned
loose some of the crud the Penzoil left behind.

John Hall