[AT] lost--generators

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 22 07:00:35 PST 2013

On 12/22/2013 8:19 AM, Richard Fink Sr wrote:
> We have a 10KW gas powered  welder generator in the little garage. have it
> wired under ground to house will run complete house. Have it for snow and
> ice storms. Have not used it where we live now. And have a 3500 to loan to
> neighbors if needed.
> R Fink
> PA
Interesting to see how well prepared some of you are for long term power
outages. I guess we have been lulled into a false sense of security here
by years of never having needed any back up power source . Ice storms
are rare here, or if they do happen it is not to the degree that you
have in the south or east. A lot of the power lines are underground in
this area which helps too .
Plus, trying to start a generator out in the cold at -20 or worse below
could be a real challenge. And don't even think about firing up a diesel
tractor without a power source to pre heat the engine. I could likely
get the old gas powered tractors running to power a pto generator but
considering fuel costs of close to $15 per hour even for small tractors,
it would be an expensive option.
It is happening in Eastern Canada right now according to this news.
  http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Travel+chaos+power+outages+storm+grips+Ontario+Quebec+Maritimes/9315648/story.html

Ralph in Sask.