[AT] lost--generators

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 22 06:43:07 PST 2013

On 12/22/2013 7:32 AM, jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> How many on the list have a backup generator and what type of weather event
> causes you to maintain one.

Here in the Ozarks we are at the end of the line.  When things fail we
are among the last to get power.  In the three and a half years we have
been here we have not had power failures for more than a few hours.
There have been few outages lasting a few hours but just before we moved
many were without power for 10 days.

I have a large 20KW unit but has control board problems.  I have had it
running manually but there is no output.  The mice chewed up the wires
and I rewired it so there may be a wiring error.

For the power outages we have had, I have two Honda 2KW inverter units
that can be paralleled.  I just put them on the front porch and run
extension cords.  Not enough power to run the well pump and hot water
heater but enough for lights, refrigerator, and freezer plus some extras.

I made a super deal on a 7.5 KW unit last summer to handle larger
loads.  We just finished building a house and I made provision for the
generator.  In my pile of junk I had a 100 Amp transfer switch and a
small breaker box.  I brought the well pump, hot water heater, furnace
fan, some lights and plugs for the freezer and refrigerator into the
breaker box.  There is a plug outside for the generator.

If we get a long power outage we will have water and can take showers.
If needed we can use the little Hondas for other power.

--
Don Bowen           AD0BR
"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."