[AT] lost--generators

Bruce Fallon bfallon at whidbey.com
Sun Dec 22 08:19:35 PST 2013

I have 2 generators plus the one in the motorhome.   One is connected to the
house through a transfer circuit and the second one sits in the pump house I
have a twist lock plug on the power line for the pump and in the event of a
power failure I unplug the twist lock and plug it into the generator to
power the water.  We are on a shared well with our neighbor (son's family).
The circuit breakers on the transfer switch would not allow the pump house
subpanel to be run from the house. When we moved here 7 years ago it was in
the middle of a power outage and I brought the motorhome up to run the
generator in it to power the furnace.  Power was out for a couple of days
weather related.  I said I was not going to get a generator for this house
but a week later the power was out again and the wife was recovering from
cancer treatments and no woodstove or alternate heat in this house. So I
bought a 5500 watt unit from Schucks at the time and a transfer switch from
Home Depot.   I acquired the second one from a friend the next year.   My
son next door also has one. The last power outage was about 24 hours in
duration.   If you have generators run them once in a while.  Before the
last outage I told my son to check his and run it.  He didn't do it. And
when needed it didn't run.   After words I took it apart and the carb was so
bad you couldn't believe it and the linkages were frozen.  I got if fixed
though.   I keep Stabil in them.  We now have a place I can get straight gas
no alcohol and I need to fill them with that.  I also put inline filters on
both of them.  We have had a few outages in the last 7 years usually less
than a day.  It just pays to stay ready now.

Bruce Fallon
Langley, WA 98260