[AT] lost

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 19 19:45:03 PST 2013

On 12/19/2013 8:57 PM, jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> Ralph, should a farmer in your area actually get snowed in with some crop
> left to be harvested, I would assume it would ruin in the field or is it
> salvageable (maybe for feed) come springtime.
>
> John Hall

John, if that farmer has crop insurance than he has to harvest the crop
in spring to collect insurance on it. It has been done and we usually
lose some yield and quality. So many white tail deer now and they do a
lot of damage to swaths that lay out through winter. Tolerances for
animal droppings in grain are pretty low, actually zero, and the grain
has to be sold as feed. Happened to me once with a small field of flax.
I guess tolerances were different in 1952. My dad and uncle left a field
of wheat swaths out all winter and by mid April it had warmed and dried
up to the point that they harvested the wheat good and dry. A little
bleached and light but not bad considering.

Ralph in Sask.