[AT] Tractor Fluid (OT, only maybe)

Alan Riley arr44 at suddenlink.net
Mon Dec 9 13:47:23 PST 2013

I bought a JD X530 mower back in the summer.  It's book also says
not to mix transmission oils and to use only JD Low Viscosity HY-GARD
(JD20D).  I wonder why they can't settle on one product?

I also have a '49 Cub and I use Shell Rotella 30 wt in the engine.  In it's
transmission I use 90 wt GL-4 gear oil.  The GL-4 spec oil lacks the
high-pressure additives that GL-5 has but it is a little easier on "yellow
metal" components than the GL-5.  The only brass items in the Cub
transmission are the reverse idler bushing and the PTO pilot bushing
but I went with the GL-4 anyway.  I can't imagine using Hy-Tran in my
Cub's transmission - it's noisy enough with the 90 wt in it.

Alan Riley
Deville, LA