[AT] Tractor Fluid (OT, only maybe)

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 10:32:18 PST 2013

Yeah... sort of still kicking myself for this one.  Thought I had done
adequate homework.  The manual simply calls it "Ford 134 fluid".  I did
some searching around the 'Net before I went shopping, so I was armed with
the correct, current spec (M2C134D).  At that time (this was about a month
ago) the only tractor fluid at NAPA was the Coastal 303, so either I could
have spent more of my day running around, or, try to determine if this was
the right stuff.  Since I am in a semi-rural area I could have driven
around  for another hour or two... so, clearly worth a few minutes to look
hard at the Coastal 303.  But I should  have taken a lot more time to
carefully read the document he showed me.  I am accepting a good portion of
the blame.  Very little blame to the counter guy.  A bit to whoever
formatted the data sheet I was shown, as it covers 303 at the top of the
page and with little fanfare it transitions to MultiTrac in the middle of
the page, where the correct Ford spec is listed.

I just went back to that same NAPA (they remain far and away my favorite
parts store despite this incident) and they have apparently received a
fresh batch of fluids, because now there are at least three or four
different ones to choose from, and one of them NAPA branded is clearly and
obviously the right one.  It talks about M2C134D, Hy-Tran Plus, etc etc.
 It calls out multi-viscosity, extreme-service, correct for modern
hydraulic system etc etc.  They simply didn't have any of this fluid when I
was there a month ago.

SO